Saturday, November 21, 2009

U6B Engine Hood

Work continues on the U6B with the engine hood, forward, right hand side. It is a styrene .040 sub base with .005 brass overlays of the engine room access doors and panels that cover the fan and radiator compartments. The air intake is framed with brass channel that captures the wire see thru mesh. There is much more detail to be added including hinges and bolt detail but it has been a good start.

The first engine room door to the left will stand open and have additional interior bracing detail and will reveal engine room details.


I also got started on the long hood roof or top by laminating an 1/8" and .060 styrene sheet together to get the proper thickness and cut out the radiator air outlet. The sections get pretty thin and I'm still tinkering with it. When I get it right I'll try putting the proper contour into it which may prove fatal, in which case I may have to try another tack. Wish me luck. If this doesn't work I may try it in wood, seal it, and then take the castings from that. Acrylic sealants work real well for taking the wood grain out of the picture.

I'm trying to finish up my wife's new sailing tri-maran at the same time so it's difficult to keep projects separated! There's nothing like being retired.

No comments:

Post a Comment