Tuesday, September 7, 2010

U6b's and Layout's "Progress"

Time cures most anything and I've finally been able to get back to the models.  They unpacked with no damage what so ever. Unfortunately I discovered a few (?) errors that had been made and had to fix them before I went forward. Little things. Crooked things, sloppy things, ugly things. Much better now though the relentless pursuit of perfectness is always relentless because I am a long way from perfect.
The first one is really beginning to look like something though.  The photo's reveal that there is a lot of work still to be done, much trimming and adding of mountains of detail not to mention roofs and, oh yes, power train, sound system ad infinitum it seems at this point but I am much bouyed by the progress.
Have still not quite figured out how to secure the trucks to the underframe. It will require only a small amount of friction, something like a circlip.  The problem is it will be located between the frame members and difficult to get at when it comes time to remove them. Something will come along to solve it I'm sure but it is frustrating.
I also have a "fit" problem between the cab, which is now assembled as a unit, and the long hood. Something went awry and I didn't get a perfectly vertical joint on the rear cab wall.  Thankfully GE used a closure trim piece in that exact place to seal those two components together.  I'm counting on that to solve my problem. The styrene floor of the underframe may even be to blame.....
You've probably noticed the brass overlay on the cab front.....Here's the scenario.  Some dope in the roundhouse swung the portable crane around with excess aplomb and knocked a "chunk" out of the engineer's side of the cab with the compressor he was dangling at the end of the chain.  Had to replace the windshield and that piece of sheetmetal that is now welded into the place that was crunched. You can't see the welds yet, but you will when the model is done. (Actually I screwed up the plastic there after it warped a little and I tried to straighten it out. Didn't work very well.  I like the solution though)

No comments:

Post a Comment