Saturday, December 12, 2009

Progress

The 1/8" styrene posts have been epoxied in place in the gearboxes.  They will have to be trimmed to clear the drive shafts and u-joints later. Some clearancing had to be done on the interior to allow the half's to go back together but not much. The Dremel came in handy. There seems to be plenty of swing for the trucks to negotiate a very small radius curve.  I have not yet made the wipers for the new electrical pick up system because I don't have any phosphor bronze sheet metal and have not yet ordered any. Too close to Christmas.  It is a madhouse with visiting relatives etc. I am pleased with the relative ease with which the trucks have so far  yielded to my wishes. No NWSL wheels yet.

I glued the deck onto the frame today as promised.  It worked out fine.  I hope to get to the skirts tomorrow.  Maybe a battery box and fuel tank next week. A new styrene frame should pop out this weekend.

The end beams will have the main air hoses and angle cocks added this weekend.  They are becoming delicate pieces.  They will not be finished until I get an order from Precision Scale, probably not until the beginning of the new year.

I made aluminum jigs for making the grab irons.  The first of several I intend to make for that purpose on the rest of the model. These were just for the end beams or pilots, if you will.

I started over with the nose master.  Sort of a built up thing like a model airplane.  So far I am happy with it.  We'll see how it goes.  It needs some 1/4" square tubing I'll have to order for the sand filler openings and it will be skinned with .010 styrene.  I like the look of the thin styrene when trying to duplicate sheet metal as it buckles most prototypically. Wish I could find .005 thick stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment