Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Modifying the Modified

Or in other words Plan "C". You'll note that the car repair facilities have been moved to the yard.  It will be served with dual gauge track . Again, "reach in" and depth allowed for scenery was at the tipping point so I felt it necessary to make this change.  There is also a mistake in the left to right dimension of the room.  It is actually 18" wider than on this drawing. Don't know how that happened but stuff does sometimes. It doesn't effect the overall design. Just imagine the yard tracks with a foot and a half more straight track stuck into the middle. When I am standing in the basement in the middle of this I can "see" the scenery much easier than on the drawing and I think this inability to translate the 2 dimension into three is why I keep having to change things. I also think it is why I look at layout design as sculpture more than an engineering or operational concept.  And this is just the ten foot end of a nearly 40 foot long sculpture.  Yikes!
When I am standing in the middle of this I see sight lines with trees and mountains and strucures and where water is or has been and where the trains must go. Where the lighting must be to avoid weird shadows and the structure to hold it all up. The backdrops are easier to visualize and I can see how other parts of the layout can help backdrop this section to help form a larger vista. I think that is going to turn out to be a key element in the overall impact of this project. The larger vista.

No comments:

Post a Comment