Thursday, October 21, 2010

Archer Louvered Vents

These are the Archer Vents (Resin castings on decal paper) added to both engines in the appropriate places. (Battery boxes, doors and accessory panels)  While they are not perfect, they are very good and about the only way I was going to get them on these models without making seperate castings from another master and applying them that way.  This is much easier and quicker.  I work slowly and this took about an hour to do both sides of both units.  For some reason or other the vents on the brass substrate looks "cleaner" but I suppose it won't matter when painted and weathered.  I am very happy with this product so far. I'll be ordering some "GE" style tread plate and some more "Weld bead" soon.
Athearn is sending the covers for the worm drive assemblies but I still haven't  received the motors from Micro Mark. It looks like everything is going to fit in the available space but I have some surgery to do on the styrene deck to get clearance for the u-joints and drive shafts.  There is still some question about the main reservoirs which are located inside the cooling air intake screens whether they will clear the power truck "swing".  Hope so, because I'm counting on them to hide the upper gear tower.  When that is solved  I can go about devising a hold down system for the long hood(s).  Some sort of a machine screw and  tapped styrene block arrangement I think.  Engineering on the fly !

No comments:

Post a Comment