Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Layout Progress

While this image is not very good it will serve as a general view of the overall layout design. The drawing has been erased more times than I care to remember and is still in the process of change.  If you have been following this blog you will recognize that the left side of the sketch has already been modified ! At least you all have an overall view of the extent of the whole layout.
I overcame a major obstacle last week by the removal
of a 275 gallon fuel tank that was within the boudaries of the harbor scene on the right side.
It took the new owner of the tank and me several hours of hard labor to get it out of the basement but it is finally done. I immediately began putting down the sills for the new walls in that section that divides off the water heater and the ancient oil heater.
This is the engine service area around Bridge, Oregon. The scene will consist of mountain sloping upwards toward the backdrop covered with pines and spruce etc. the track and structures in the foreground. I am experimenting with the valance.  The wavy cut is to prevent distraction of a straight line as it will be painted a sky scene exactly like the backdrop.  I am hoping to add depth instead of "framing" the scene in the normal way. If it doesn't work out I'll just remove it and cut it straight and redo it the "normal" way but I think this is worth a try.  Nothing ventured nothing gained. The valance also hides the lighting which I have also finished wiring for this area. Haven't turned it on yet because I don't have the fixtures installed. Yes, that's a outlet box that hasn't been wired .  It comes off the wiring for the room behind the wall (workshop). 

This is a sketch of the end of the wharf at Bandon Harbor.  Just something to tweek the appetite for structure building and visualization.  The module of the wharf is 30 inches by 9 feet ! Lot of stuff to build....
Am I a lucky boy or what? My wife bought me this Bachmann Shay for my birthday!! Can't wait to get at it with the airbrush and chalks to dirty it up a little......

1 comment:

  1. Hi , i live in south africa and am in the process of building a few of the um6b locos. i can forward the original blue prints to you when i get them . your loco looks good and i think it is going to run beautifully . i build in 1/36 scale , and only build south african locomotives. my email : phoenix1975za (at) yahoo.com. ( Mark Viviers )

    ReplyDelete